Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Somehow...

Update: I remember...was watching "Be with me" on the plane back and the story about an old man pining for his wife; with her standing beside him for a long time cos he couldn't let go of the fact she was dead.

This particular post from my past came back to haunt me the past few days telling me to re-visit it.

************

Romeo and Juliet. People wept incessantly when Claire Danes woke up only to find Leonardo Dicaprio dead. The story itself in other forms and versions brought up memories of love lost. Why? Because it was a love unfulfilled, too young it couldn't blossom. It was supposed to be a passionate love that could never reach its potential.

I don't envy young love. It lacks the robustness like fine wine, young love tastes tannic, leaving a sour aftertaste. Young love has the impulsiveness and passion; but lacks the understanding that all is trivial and the fact you have each other is more than sufficient. Young love is the little boy that sobs when his favourite toy is taken away from him. Mature love is the little boy that shares his favourite toy with his loved ones. One selfish, one giving.

I sobbed silently as I read it what he wrote. Unable to fully comprehend and feel what he must be going through now, yet touched deeply by their love. They had such long lustrous years, seeing the grey hairs grow on each other; but finding beauty in the lines that framed their faces. They had three sons, two daughters, numerous grandchildren and friends. One always looking out for the other. Husband and wife, for better and worse. He used to buy her flowers on special occasions, held her hand and always asking for her whenever she wasn't by his side. This continued all the way till this Monday when they were parted by death.

'I'm all alone' he said, 'but i'm always with you' she whispers.

'I'm so lost, how can i carry on without you being in my arms? I want to take care of you.' he prays silently.

'I love you. I'll never leave you.'
Then she moved on. She didn't leave, she didn't go away. She just moved on to a better place so she could make it comfortable till the time he came to join her. As always, she's looking out for him.

On the taxi, I sobbed silently again. Recalling all the love behind unspoken words that he wrote. I sobbed for the love I lost and paid tribute to the love they had. I was jealous too...Why couldn't I have that?

I want a love like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home