Friday, August 12, 2005

August 5 - 6: First mini-Typhoon account


Typhoon Matsa knocking on my door Posted by Picasa

Picture above depicts beautiful maroonish clouds against the navy blue backdrop, twas the night before Typhoon Matsa. Coyingly passing by Shanghai, Typhoon Matsa never truly unleashing the inner strength hidden in her. Despite that, the windows of my 30th storey apartment was vibrating as the storm Matsa brought came down relentlessly for the next full day as well. In all honesty, I was a little freaked out. Never had I ever come close to a natural disaster before. My little apartment formed part of the typhoon symphony, the howling winds were also forming a percussionwith the window panes.


Dry but stuck at home the next morning at 5a.m Posted by Picasa

The next morning, the mist had an ethereal yet quiet uneasiness. Though I was just enthralled by the whole experience. I wasn't anywhere near the centre of the typhoon but it certainly gave me a glimpse of what others must have felt at the face of a natural disaster. Helplessness. Fear. Flase bravado. Loneliness. Recalling everything one might have done wrongly or someone that one might have done wrong to. Dreaming of places we have never been but always told ourselves to explore.

And as the sun shined through the third day, I went to Carrefour to shop for fresh groceries. No frozen food or instand noodles will do. Nothing like fresh food to remind your senses how wonderful it is to feel alive.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

a tip from the typhoon experienced - tape the windows at the first signs of strong winds - and then remember to remove them once the typhoon passes - it is awfully tough to scrape off baked paper tape off a window.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home