Tuesday, August 21, 2007

TV is the best thing in my life

Kidding.

Though in all earnestness, having dinner away from the TV is one of the best things that DL and I have decided. It is not living together till you have to look a person in the eye and have a real conversation (yeah, conversations are not pink tailed unicorns) for about an hour, or as fast as you can gulp down your food without chewing heh.

Coming home, sitting in front of the tv while having dinner, then sleeping together is just co-existing. Having a presence, having a warm human being to feel less alone, talking about what the last episode of Simpsons you watched is not a conversation. If you are looking to begin a life together, doing all those things above is just not it.

I have to confess, initially the temptation to watch tv while eating was great, very much like what No Impact Man experienced. Talking and eating at the table was strange. How, my day was so mundane, or the only thing I have are complaints. Die lah! But dinner time conversation is like having sex, foreplay is important. That foreplay is probably cooking together, cutting up fruit, or even him sitting down in the kitchen while I prepare dinner. Once the conversation sputters itself into life, it will cruise itself onto the dinner table. And it is NOT because I'm female and use more words in a day! I learnt to listen to him as well.

Today's dinner showed how much we have progressed, WL wanted to watch TV and we stayed behind to eat our sandwiches...and whaddya know...asked about each others day. To me, I feel we showed each other that the other person was important enough to spend time away from doing other 'stimulating' activities.

Now, I have to grudgingly admit, my mama knows best when she told be at 13 years old to "stop watching tv and eat at the table!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home