Sunday, November 09, 2008

Step two...


Edit: Dad wants to be my dance partner! Stay tuned for the adventures...

Barbara's an university schoolmate whose quiet burst of giggles and sarcasm gets me. We met this weekend as she was with her family here for tennis masters. She's learning lindy hop and researched a little about the dancing scene here.

So there we were at 5 on the Bund, transported back to Great Gatsby-esque, Chet Baker piano tinkling era. Dancing was happy hops, skips in between smiles with dips with swoops at the end. How can one not be drawn into it? We ended the night at Mural free dancing, my first dance with someone else other than Carlos. I began to let go of myself to follow and dancing to my own beat. The energy stayed with me past the weekend...The late night, totally worth it!

Dancing. I love to see people dance. Shanghainese elders dancing in parks, salsa-ing in Silvermoon, gyrating on bar tops with abandon; wiggling and twisting. They are not self-conscious at all.

Learning salsa and swing dancing this year may help me move better to my own beat after all. As the body becomes free to move, so will the mind, and then again, so will the body express what the minds feels. And around it goes...



Dancing. To get rid of my awkwardness, I am going to learn it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home